Makes approx 6 – 8 cups.
(Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, sugar free.)
This is a sweet, ‘earthy’ salad that I love to eat often. It’s very nutritious and the addition of nuts and seeds adds some extra healthy fats. Try experimenting with different nuts and seeds according to your own taste. Sesame seeds would also make a great addition. I’ve specified red apples as they’re generally sweeter than the green varieties, and matches well with the acidity from the apple cider vinegar. Use a glass bowl instead of plastic or metal, as beetroot may stain plastic, and the acidity of the salad may ‘react’ with a metal bowl.
– 3 red apples (peel & core discarded)
– 2 carrots (top/tail & peel discarded)
– 1 beetroot (top/tail & peel discarded)
– 2 tbsp pepitas (soaked for at least 4 hours, rinsed and drained)
– 2 tbsp sunflower kernels (soaked for at least 4 hours, rinsed and drained)
– ½ cup chopped walnuts (lightly toasted)
– ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
– 5 tbsp extra-virgin, cold-pressed olive oil
– Himalayan or macrobiotic salt & ground black pepper to taste
– Optional: 1 kale leaf, chopped (ribs discarded)
Shred apples, carrots and beetroot and place in a large glass bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
Keeps well in the fridge for approx 1 week, covered.